Copyright 2016 - Jane Surr Burton

Friday, June 6, 2014

Committing Fiction



I have just finished my last session of a Writerhouse fiction writing workshop.  Our teacher taught us to try to write well, as well as to write fiction.

I was awed by the other students’ strong writing.  We were a diverse group in age and experience.  A talented high school girl, a talented college girl, and other talented people wrote our hearts out weekly.  I will not be surprised to find any of my fellow students in print.

The teacher, Jay Kauffmann, a fine professional writer and teacher, made us write as honestly and as well as we could.  He went to the heart of our prose problems with kindness and acuity.  He made us read short stories by very good modern short-story writers, all of whom were new to me.

I went into class worried that I hadn’t the imagination to craft fiction.  I had started and aborted a mystery novel for lack of any idea where to take it.  For the first assignment, I strung together incidents from my sixth year at the end of WW II – creative non-fiction at best.  My second story, only three pages long, convinced me that I could at least invent a very short story.  The discovery that I could commit fiction was worth the price of admission.

I highly recommend Writerhouse classes and classes taught by Jay Kauffmann.  This class enhanced my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment