Copyright 2016 - Jane Surr Burton

Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Beading Party



Some years ago, Friendly Fingers, a Quaker gathering attended mostly by women, met monthly.  We did handwork in company at a f/Friend's house.  I knitted mostly, although I drew pictures a couple of times.  We had quilters, knitters, smockers and other needle-workers.  Some beautiful things were started and finished.  It was a delight to work in the warm company of these good women.

Last week my sister and a daughter, my own daughters and I, held a family beading party at the studio.  This reminded me of Friendly Fingers; I had the same feelings of comfort in the company of people I care for.  The idea of bead-work itself did not appeal at first.  I have little use for jewelry.  But I do love the company of these particular women.

The others made earrings, necklaces and other pretty, elegant things.  I had the idea of weaving a picture or band with the beautiful bead colors, but my home-made nail loom collapsed off the bat, and I ended with a pathetic string of small colored beads instead.

I remembered my best birthday present ever, a beaded Indian belt. I got it on my seventh birthday when we traveled in Colorado.  I loved it all the years of my childhood, even after I outgrew it. I did internet research after the party and discovered that Indians and others often bead without looms and I printed instructions for various stitches.  As my kinfolk wear jewelry there is some use to me in bead-work.

Beading is another of those occupations, like bread-baking, that connects generations of women.  It satisfies for that reason alone.  Beading gives me an outlet for my wild enjoyment of color. It will not supplant knitting in my esteem, but it’s a good summer substitute.  I hope when the cold winds blow, my fellow beaders will tolerate my work in wool instead of beads.  In the meantime learning how is a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment