Copyright 2016 - Jane Surr Burton

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Faithful Duck



When Betsy was great with Jackson, Tom and Betsy took a trip to North Carolina.  They were in baby-naming mode.  Betsy said, “if it’s a boy we could call him Raleigh.”

Tom replied “I like Duck or Chapel Hill better.”

For the rest of the pregnancy they referred to the baby as Duck; so did Ox and I.

Jackson/Duck turned nine in November.  In early October I remembered a favorite present from my childhood – a top-hatted glass duck on tin legs that dipped its beak, over and over, into a glass of water.  As long as it could reach its water the duck (really a heat engine) was a perpetual motion machine.  Its bottom glass bulb was half filled with colored liquid and it had a long neck that went up to a smaller self-contained glass bulb that had a hat, a beak and an absorbent felt coating. The duck was too wonderful to have gone out of production.

Sure enough, a Google search on “bobbing duck” revealed that these were still available, although their tin legs had become plastic in the 50 years since I had mine.  I ordered the cheapest duck on Amazon.  I discovered only after I had made the fatal buy click that the duck was to be shipped from China and would arrive five days after Jackson’s birthday.  I told Ox.

Ox went on-line and found two-for-the-price-of-one ducks that would arrive within the week of ordering.  He gave me them as an early Christmas present.

I gave one to Jackson for his birthday and set up the other at home on the mantle piece.  I don’t know if Jackson’s duck is bobbing yet, but mine is insatiable.  We moved the duck from the mantle-piece to the kitchen counter with concern for electronic devices under the mantle piece.  The duck sits on the kitchen counter and bobs.  I keep forgetting that he’s there until his motion hits the corner of my eye.

What a duck!   What a faithful duck!  What an indefatigable duck!  What an example of the virtue of persistence!  The duck bobs day and night.  All he needs is a little water to wet his whistle. Wow, what a duck!

No comments:

Post a Comment