Copyright 2016 - Jane Surr Burton

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

I have been very happy to have this blog.  I am very happy to still have it.  I live in a severely restricted mode now - my social energy has depleted entirely.  I enjoy writing about random things, and in the process I make sense of the many random things in my long life.  It's one of the few things I can do, in my dotage, from the elephant (a great, gray, 'zero gravity', reclining chair.)

Thanks to Google that I still have this blog.  I don't want it to end before I do.  I thought I had ruined everything by hitting [send] to renew my Google account before I had changed the payment method from my old, abandoned, credit card account to my new one.  The next day I hurriedly joined Google with the new account.  I still thought everything was lost.  Apparently, the accounts people at Google were paying attention because here I am posting to the account.

As a life-long blurter, one of the better things that has happened to me since the tracheostomy, is that now I do all my talking in writing on a dry-erase board. This forces me to think, at least a little bit, before I utter.  I now must learn to think before I [send].

The blog is named after my mother's cousin Pauline Stiles' first book.  Pauline was a fixture in my childhood.  She was an elegant, tall, slim, woman.  She lived in San Bernardino, California, in the house where she was born and grew up; her house had Spanish architecture and a red tile roof.   We lived in Redlands, eight miles to the south.  When we ate at her house, she summoned the maid to the table with a little bell.  Our mother, before she married our Father, had lived with Pauline's family when her own mother was put in hospital.

Pauline had been engaged to marry a beautiful young man. When he discovered that the young man had Tuberculosis, her father forbade Pauline to marry him.  Pauline was sent off on a grand tour of Europe as a consolation.

On her tour, to keep it all in memory, Pauline took careful notes.  On her return her  mother suggested she edit them into a book.  Pauline did.  A publisher published this first book, New Footprints in Old Places.  Pauline wrote a number of sucessful novels after New Footprints.  She felt that Dr. Will, her last novel, based on her father's  life as a doctor in wild California, was her best.  It probably was.

No comments:

Post a Comment