Copyright 2016 - Jane Surr Burton

Monday, March 24, 2014

Crozet Fireman's Parade

Yesterday Betsy and Jackson came to the Crozet Fireman's 6th of July parade. We erected our chairs in the shade of the Field School's new trees right across from the mouth of the parade. We could hear the bagpipers and fire engines practicing. The sky was cerulean, the clouds puffy and the air delicious.

I love this parade, a mixture of my home town, politics and commerce, young beauty queens, fire engines from the valley and our surrounding counties, anybody in a fancy vehicle, and children throwing and scrabbling for candies.

While we watched the lyrics "This is my song, O God of all the nations,
A song of peace for lands afar and mine.
This is my home, the country where my heart is;
Here are my hopes, my dreams, my sacred shrine.
But other hearts in other lands are beating,
With hopes and dreams as true and high as mine. . ." kept sounding in my head.


After the parade we returned home to eat turkey dogs, ice cream and strawberries, blueberries and peaches. Jackson and I built Stonehenge with blocks and Jackson made a light-catching tower to go with it.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment